Monday, August 16, 2010

As They Enter Their First Decade of Life

We made it through a week, the first week of school being a true blended family. Everyone excited and tired and concerned that they will make friends and let their minds soar.

We are young parents, Marc and I not the traditionally mommy and daddy, but we have all the love of the traditional and then some.  Last year this time he had taken a job in South Carolina and I was newly pregnant with our youngest, his heart hurt and my belly was getting big, but nothing could prepare us for being a true blended family.

On Sunday night, the clothes are ironed they all are running around the house, I'm packing bags and breastfeeding lil mama and I sit back and look and say, Dang girl, when you were 10 you didn't even want this, and now that you have you been blessed with it, are you grateful enough? I said it to myself to remin myself to be humble, know that they appreciate everything you have done for them. Know that they love you too, even though you aren't their "real mommy". Know that your Autist loves and knows your every feeling and even when he's not watching he's watching, learning and growing.

It was at that moment my faith was restored and I found what I had been looking for, a family, a whole family and we LOVED IT! We have created the most beautiful people we know, not because they come from us, because the experiences that they have will create these beauties. My kids, no not goats, my children. They have no idea what they do to us, they make us feel so vulnerable and yet so strong, I envy them, their energy, their will to defy the adult in me hehe.

All in all we survived a week, the first week of school, we made some friends, had some laughs and then realized that they grew up. Their first decade is almost complete, I wonder what their books will read what stories they will tell to their children when they begin school. Life hands you all sorts of things, I just roll with the things that have been handed and smile.

We love you Nyavah, JahCai and Elijah! We know your first week was successful, let's make the rest of the year the best we ever had!

1 comment:

  1. These are beautiful sentiments! I know at ten you didn't want any kids. You didn't even want to take care of other peoples' children foget having your own! I must say that you have done a fantastic job with all you've been through these past few years. I am very proud of you. You are my "shero". When I question my own parenting skills as a mother, I look to you and know that all is well. I did the best I could with what I had and the loved followed. Thank you, my strongblack sister! Keep up the good work. God bless and keep you all close to His bosom. I love you!

    ReplyDelete